Wednesday, October 3, 2007

More Pasta Than Sauce

I picked this sauce because I love pasta with olives. Instead of kalamata olives, I went with a Mediterranean olive mix from my favorite Middle Eastern market.

As Weed I, II, and III can testify, I seriously lack a green thumb, and any heirloom tomatoes that I tried to grow on my fire escape would probably become suicidal and hurl themselves to the sidewalk. So I went for the next best thing and picked some up at the farmer's market.

I had some basil leftover from my appatoulille so I decided to throw that in. All was going well until I did something very stupid. I followed the recipe.

The instructions call for a whole box of pasta to be tossed in the pan with the sauce. My instinct told me that was way too much pasta for the amount of sauce I had, but for some reason I convinced myself that the recipe must be right.

Not quite.


As you can see, I basically ended up with a mound of pasta with the occasional tomato or olive thrown in.

Determined to make it work, I served up some pasta and then tried to scoop out as much of the sauce as I could to add on top.


In the end it was okay, but I like my pasta really saucy so I was fairly disappointed. Next time I'll probably go back to sauce from the jar--and lots of it.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I think we have identified a common problem--the people who write pasta recipes like very little sauce. Soulless bastards.