Wednesday, October 31, 2007

$62 Chili, Now with pictures!




So far, it looks like the chili recipes have been an across-the-board success. Amy B's point is well taken that, well, it's just a hard thing to screw up. But I give us more credit than that -- I think we're learning, y'all.

I found this week's recipe from the Food Network's official site. It is credited to Michael Chiarello, who I heard once from a friend of a friend, so distant I can't even remember, was a big asshole. And today I say, who cares? Dude puts together a fabulous chicken and white bean chili.

You can follow the link for the full recipe -- I'll just include my notes/highlights.


1. The recipe calls for chicken thighs, skin and bones removed. I don't know if such a thing is possible, but buying your chicken already skinned and boned would cut back on a significant amount of prep time. (Of course, it would also deny you the opportunity to use those chicken parts for homemade stock...which, I didn't actually do, but meant to.)

2. The recipe also calls for 4 jalepeno peppers, with seeds and all. This scared me, so I used the seeds from only two and the chili was quite spicy. Seeds from four peppers would have rendered it inedible, imho.

3. Ok, but the truly beautiful secret to this recipe was the masa harina. Yes, I had to google it, too. It is a "corn flour of finer texture than cornmeal." And it is delicious. Basically, you mix the masa harina with a few other herbs and spices and use it as breading for the chicken, which you brown in 1/4 cup olive oil. The flour gets nice and toasty, like a great rue. And when you put it back in the chili, this flavor pretty much defines the whole thing -- the pot smelled like spicy corn tortillas. Yum!

4. Oh, and $62 dollars, you ask? Well, the recipe also called for a couple of specialty spices that I've been wanted to check out anyway, and couldn't resist buying. Namely, grey salt and smoked paprika. I'm sure just the regular versions of each would suffice. (Though I learned that grey salt is spicy. Interesting!) Also, I bought a $12 bottle of wine to put in the chili. That, plus all the fresh herbs I no longer have in my garden added up to, yes, a $62 chili. Which, you know, is probably a bit much...ya think?

5. But, Adam said this was the best thing I have ever made, and the pride I've been walking around with all week is well worth it. Right?

No comments: