Thursday, September 27, 2007

Why so non-sinful, Fettucine with Prosciutto, Tomatoes, and Cream?

For our "pasta with sauce that's not from a jar" challenge, I picked this recipe, because "Fettucine with Prosciutto, Tomatoes, and Cream" sounds like The.Most.Decadent.Pasta.Ever. I imagined a lake of creamy tomatoishness with getaway islands of proscuittio, and a couple of linguines floating lazily by.

However, the pasta was actually pretty light, so that was kind of a let-down given my expectations, but it was still good. I basically fried some prosciutto kind of how you would bacon and then put it aside; sauted some garlic, added 3 cans of petite diced tomatoes,* then threw in some parsley, 1/2 a cup of cream, grated parmesan, and pepper, and then put the proscuittio back in. The recipe kind of quit before specifying whether you should mix the pasta and sauce together before serving it or not. Since I overcooked the pasta a bit, I washed it in cold water so it wouldn't get even soggier, and then felt I had to add it to the sauce to heat it back up to a reasonable temperatur. The whole thing didn't take long at all.

All in all, it was good but not mind-blowing. I would make it again but maybe with a different kind of cured meat, since the prosciutto didn't add as much flavor as I would have thought (and also cost $7 for a half pound).

*I did not understand the "not from a jar" rule to exclude canned tomatoes, although I'm sure Myrtle is going to make her sauce entirely from scratch using heirloom tomatoes she's been growing on her fire escape, at which point I will feel like kind of an asshole.

No comments: