Sunday, October 21, 2007

Gnokay Gnocchi

This week I decided to take a perfectly healthy theme like greens and turn it into a perfectly carbolicious meal like pasta! I am not normally a gnocchi person because it tends to be a little heavy for my taste, but I recently had some spinach gnocchi that was awesome. The question was: could I make it myself? Um, not quite.

Overall the recipe was pretty easy considering it is pasta from scratch, but when I got to the step where you are supposed to roll the dough into a cylinder, the dough was waaaaay too sticky.


I tried adding more flour, but it never really got to the point where it was easy to work with. I think maybe there was too much moisture left in the cheese and/or the spinach. But eventually I was able to work with it enough to turn it into little gnocchis.

The first night, I just sautéed them with butter and grated cheese on top. Unfortunately, that was a bit on the bland side.


The second night I had it with marinara sauce and that made it much tastier. And prettier! (Sort of.)


Overall, it wasn't bad and the spinach did keep it lighter than your average pasta, but the pieces of spinach also gave it a slightly weird texture. I think if I were to make this again, I might try pureeing the spinach with the ricotta to get a smoother texture and then draining off more of the moisture with a cheesecloth. This is one of those recipes that seems like it could be good with a little fine tuning. Or, you know, a professional chef.

No comments: