Sunday, October 7, 2007

It's all about the coconuts

Browsing cookie recipes on Epicurious, I found this recipe for Coconut Macaroons. I don't know how I never knew that macaroons are like the easiest cookie to make in the history of cookies ever. Seriously, this recipe was so easy and fast it almost felt like cheating.

The kind of ridiculous thing about this recipe is it only makes 4 cookies. That's like a single serving as far as I am concerned, so I doubled the recipe. I used my measuring tablespoon to scoop out the mounds and give them a little more shape. Since my oven blows, I made them in my toaster oven, no problem. As several people mentioned in the comments section, they do take longer to cook than the recipe calls for--more like 30 minutes.

Once they were done and had cooled I felt so guilty about the minimal amount of effort that I put into them, I decided to fancy them up a bit. So I melted some bittersweet baking chocolate, a little bit of vanilla extract, and some half and half, and covered half of each cookie in the chocolate. Then I put them in the fridge to set the chocolate. I was very pleased with the final result.


There is no question that I will make these again. So easy, so yummy. Next time I might experiment with different dips, or roll the chocolate in almond slivers to fancy them up even more.

No comments: