Monday, October 1, 2007

I Love You Mr. Basil


I made this yummy recipe for tomato sauce on Friday night. It was so good, Arie ate the leftovers by the spoonful, without pasta.

I was really afraid that it would be painstakingly annoying to remove the skins from the roma tomatoes, but au contraire. You boil them for 2 minutes, drop them into a bowl of cold water, and the skins come off quite easily. 'Tis a tad time-consuming, but not particularly difficult.

As you can see in the photo above, I made it kinda chunky. If you wanted yours more sauce-y and less chunky, you could chop the tomatoes in a food processor or chopper before simmering them. Also, it seems that the longer you simmer, the less chunks you get. Personally, I'm a fan of the chunky. But as you can see, after half an hour of simmering it was getting more saucified.

Since I had never made sauce-not-from-the-jar, I decided to go with a pretty simple, standard garlic & basil tomato sauce. However, in the future I could see myself throwing in some hot peppers, or something. In other words, the recipe is totally versatile.

Just like Grandma used to make it

The end!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That looks delicious! Thanks for the recipe link! (Not that I will follow the silly instruction of letting the tomatoes sit in a colander for thirty minutes. If I wanted to wait thirty minutes for tomato sauce, I'd go to a restaurant.)