Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sweeeeeet Potato Chili

And to think, I almost passed on POffCOff this week. Thank god I caved to chili-related peer pressure!

After looking at a million chili recipes that seemed like the same old, same old, I finally stumbled across this one--interesting, easy, and quick. Peeeeerfect.

I read over the recipe reviews and they were really helpful. Instead of "Mexican-style stewed tomatoes" I used Muir Glen Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes and they added nice depth and balanced out the sweet of the sweet potatoes and the orange peel. Several people suggested chipotle chili powder instead of regular chili powder. I couldn't find any at my fabulous grocery store, so I went with "Hot Mexican-Style Chili Powder" (what's up with all the Mexican-style?).


As you can see, this recipe doesn't make a huge amount of chili in comparison to most recipes. So if you are making it for more than two or want lots of leftovers, I would suggest doubling it.

I wasn't so sure about the sweet potato/pinto bean combo once I got everything in the pot, but in the end it was goooooooooood. Especially with sour cream on top.


It was so good I scarffed two big bowls and could have kept going, but I wanted to have leftovers for lunch the next day. I will so make this again. In fact, I think this is my favorite recipe so far.

No comments: