Saturday, September 22, 2007

Appatoulille

Since I don't have a working oven, and a lot of apple recipes involve baking, finding a recipe this week was a bit of a challenge. Then I turned to the people who know apples best - the fine folks of Washington state.

Although the standard reaction when I said that I was making Apple Ratatouille was, "ew," this recipe intrigued me because I love ratatouille but my tummy hates eggplant. Why not try it with apples as a substitute?

The first thing that I realized about this recipe is that it involves A LOT of dicing. See!


The second thing that I realized is that it makes A LOT of food. Although the instructions pretend like it can all be made in one skillet, I had to transfer it to my big stock pot for the last few steps.


The third thing that I realized is that it calls for way too much salt. To counteract this, I added the liquid that I had drained off of the tomatoes and about double the amount of walnuts. Not only did that cut the saltiness, the extra walnuts really upped the yum factor.

I decided to make it an entree by serving it over cous cous, and I topped it off with some grated parmesan cheese.


In the end it turns out that all of the dicing was worth it. The apples added just a hint of sweetness, but were not overpowering, and the walnuts really made the dish. Yum!

Thank god, because I have a lot of leftovers.

No comments: