Friday, September 14, 2007

Only two things in this world are too serious to be jested on, potatoes and matrimony. (Irish Saying)

I made the above recipe for Vichyssoise. It was really good because potatoes taste good, leeks taste good, and you know what else tastes good? Fat tastes good! And this soup is loaded with heavy cream. Yum, yum, yum.

Recommendation: Do not attempt to make this soup without a great big heavy-duty food processor. I squished up the potatoes with a hand mixer (which the recipe says that you can do). This was not a good idea. Although it worked and everything tasted grrrreat, my kitchen was covered in creamy, white potato spooge.

Another recommendation: Make the stock from scratch! It makes all the difference. I made my stock with carrots, celery, onion, garlic, turnips, parsnip, tomatoes and lots of salt and pepper.





Before simmering for about an hour, I added my total favorite thing ever into the pot -- a bouquet garni!!

Bouquet Garni
3 fresh Italian parsley sprigs, 1 bay leaf, 1 fresh thyme sprig

Combine all the ingredients in a piece of cheesecloth

Fold up and secure tightly with a piece of string

Use as directed.
Voila!



Apologies: I'm an idiot, and I somehow forgot to take a picture of my soup when it was actually done. I think that this is because I made the stock on Saturday, and the soup on Sunday, and on Sundays I am forgetful. I'm very sorry, because it looked really cool.

Update: I'm possibly even dumber than I thought I was. I actually did take a picture of my completed soup. I just forgot. Not so bright.


3 comments:

Jackson said...

Glad you did this one. Had my life not been so nuts this week, I too was going to tackle the vichyssoise. Yumm...

Jenny said...

I have never heard of vichyssoise. How do you pronounce it?

Jenny said...

That picture totally helps me out, because I was interpreting the picture of red plate with the "garni" on it as the soup in a bowl with the garni sort of suspended above it, so I thought the soup was red, and I didn't understand how a creamy, potato-based soup would end up red.