Monday, January 26, 2009

Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Cider Vinegar Sauce

It's a twofer! I wanted to catch up on the poff coffing, so I followed this recipe from Epicurious, which involves both stuffing foods in other foods and shallots! The first step involved making the shallot/cider vinegar sauce... I was skeptical about adding the sugar to the sauteed shallots without adding any liquid, but it worked and didn't burn or anything. I didn't have homemade beef or chicken broth to add once it was called for, so I just used instant vegetable broth--my favored brand is Rapunzel--which seemed to work just fine.









Then, the stuffing... all that was involved here was some fairly straightforward sauteeing.



Then, the assembly. My chickens came split, which was handy.


They also came skinless, so I skipped the step of browning them in a pan... Also, I forgot to buy kitchen string to tie everything together, but it all held together well enough. So yes, into the oven they went, and 15 minutes later, done! The only other change I made was to cut out some of the butter in the sauce, as it seemed like a lot of butter. But the results all around? Delicious!


The sauce tasted great in combination with the sweet and savory chicken and stuffing. Overall, I must say that it was a bit of a potschke, as my mother would say... but none of the steps were hard, and it's pretty fun to cook up some fancy food for yourself. Also, I think this recipe could be easily adapted for non-meat eaters by using slices of firm tofu instead of chicken.

No comments: