Thursday, January 29, 2009

Shallots = Love, updated

I didn't think I was actually going to get around to doing a shallot recipe this week, but when I clicked on Apartment Therapy's Kitchn yesterday and there was a shallot recipe at the very top, I figured it was probably a sign. This one actually comes from Martha Stewart, and let's just admit it: that woman is awesome. We're all on that bandwagon now, right? Good.

So, I made this braised chicken with shallots, & it was fan-freaking-tastic.

PoffCoff has really helped me learn how much I like to cook. I would never have made this kind of meal for just myself if it weren't for this site, but now I know that cooking at home solo, with a little glass of wine, some John Legend -- it's a great way to spend an evening.

I pretty much followed the recipe. Brown your chicken thighs, go ahead with the big chunks of halved shallots -- they'll break down some in the cooking process -- and opt in for the tarragon at the end. It really added (dare I say it?) complexity to the flavor. I want to eat this every day.



Update: The lovely folks at kitchn.com posted an update on this recipe today, having now tried it themselves. They served the dish over pasta, which I think would be tasty, but also seems unnecessary. The chicken thighs I used were boneless and skinless, and I agree that its easier to deal with. The chicken was still amazingly flavorful. Mainly, I was just excited to see a bunch of commenters talk about how delicious this was, because I agree! I ate it for four or five days.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Sorry for my totally random comment to this, but I just got very excited so I had to add: I've made this same exact recipe before and it's REALLLLY yummy!

Ok, I'll go back to being creepy poff coff stalker now.